Author Topic: Frequent filament breakage  (Read 4302 times)

Gadgett

Frequent filament breakage
« on: February 27, 2015, 03:57:28 PM »
My first spool has about 1/3 left (the spool that came with the Zeus) and it seems that almost every time I print, the filament has broken somewhere between the spool and the extruder.  When I look at the filament that exits the filament guide tube, it's tightly coiled up and stretching it out to reach the extruder typically causes it to snap.  Of course, this creates a nuisance in that I have to remove the remainder that is stuck in the extruder and re-load it before printing. 

Are others seeing a similar issue?  Is this a common problem with PLA-type 3D printers or could the spool be defective?

BTW, I love my Zeus, but the filament path seems to be an area for improvement.  The filament always seems to get hung up somewhere between the spool and the extruder or rubs on the door opening flanges or breaks due to the sharp angles caused by the placement of the guide tube relative to the extruder head...
UX Designer, gadget geek and scuba diver.

ecloud

Re: Frequent filament breakage
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
Yes I've had it happen before.  It seems you have to avoid allowing filament to be bent at too sharp an angle for too long.  The top cover of the Zeus is not so far away from the intake to the extruder, so it can end up being bent too sharply.  At least it hasn't been a problem during actual printing, for me.

evetanlm

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:27:34 AM »
HI,

i'm also new to Zeus, my printer keep having break filament and for filament break is because the PLA is too wet, try to wrap with paper bag and put on heatbed and heat for 1 hour at temperature 60-70 degree. but the issue i'm facing is everythings print in the half way it stuck at the extruder nozzle. anyone can help?

anonchik

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 02:51:36 PM »
Causes for Leak

It is necessary for you to understand the factors that can result to this condition of fluid leak, so that you can take the preventive measure to keep your vehicle from going through such an issue. Here are some of the common and simple things which can result in transmission fluid leak. Understand each and every cause and think the way you can avoid that to happen so that your car can stay healthy for long. Loose pan is a very general cause for the issue of fluid leak. This happens mainly when the bolts are not tightened properly after changing the filter. Drain plugs can also leak when they are not secured properly after flushing or changing. It is true that these leaks can be fixed very easily but can be really hazardous if you are not dealing with them on time.

There are chances for the leakage to occur due to cracked or frayed transmission pan. It is also a simple issue which can be resolved easily. It is possible for you to even buy the pan as it is also available in much less cost. Another reason that can result in leak is the torque convertor. This is not a common issue but can occur if there are cracks or faults in the needle bearings of torque converter. This is a reason which can cause leaks which are really much difficult for identifying and also can be costlier to get repaired.There are chances for the fluid leaks to occur when you are driving on a road that is poorly paved. Debris on the road can even damage the fluid lines causing a damage.

Identifying the Leak

It is necessary for you to know whether your car has got a transmission fluid leak. If it is going through that condition then it requires immediate attention for dealing with it. Here are some of the ways through which you can diagnose the condition. First check the color of the fluid that is leaked. The fluids inside car are all red in color and if the fluid turns out to be brown then it is the indication that it is high time to change the fluid. The transmission fluid can be differentiated from others with the smell and consistency it has got. The transmission fluids can be much slick and oily when you touch that. It also has got the smell similar to petrol. If it is time for changing the transmission fluid then it may smell like burnt.

It is also necessary for you to figure out from where exactly the fluid drips from. Transmission fluid usually drips from front or the center part of the vehicle. If you are finding the red slick oil on the drive way especially in the front as well as the middle portion of the car then it can be mostly due to the leakage of transmission fluid. It is also necessary for you to know your car well. Pay attention to the signs that your car is showing. If you feel that transmission is taking much time to start then it is a clear indication that the levels of transmission fluid are low. This can be due to a leakage. If the transmission is not starting at all then it simply means that there is no transmission fluid left in your vehicle. It is high time for you to act.

Fixing Transmission Leakage

Now you have got clear idea about the way you need to figure out a transmission fluid leakage. It is necessary for you to know how severe the issue is. The seriousness of the leakage is a factor that depends mainly on the volume of the fluid that is lost. If the leakage of the transmission fluid is minor that si only few drops are found in the area then it can be handles very easily. If the amount of the leakage of the fluid is really too much then it is necessary for you to try with the bottle – of stop leak or you can even get the help of service e or repair center.

The stop leak of good quality is a best solution that you have for dealing with the minor leaks. You now need to locate the dipstick of transmission fluid and then pour the stop leak to that tube. The viscosity of this fluid will be really much and this thick fluid can help in stopping the leakage. It can replace the transmission fluid that is lost from the machine. Dipstick can be used for determining the exact level of the liquid in the car.

Impact on Environment

Transmission fluid leak is a problem to your vehicle but it also has a negative impact on the environment. When pollutants from a transmission fluid spills on the soil it can pollute it and in return can kill the insects and the necessary bacteria in the soil. This fluid that is leaked can even reach water sources through various means. This chemical reaching the water can contaminate it and can cause issues to the ones who consume that.

Leakage of transmission fluid is an issue that can be avoided if you are servicing the car regularly. It is necessary for you to ensure that the transmission lines are in good condition .

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:34:29 PM by anonchik »

alcoxy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 06:50:00 AM »
Hi guys,

The filament breakage issue most likely comes down to a few issues.

1. Filament feed tube is too tight and not placed properly, causing multiple tight turns and a small diameter tube holding the filament too tightly and not allowing it to bend at a smoother angle.

2. Moisture and air is a known cause of filament breaking however others say that filament 6 months old or more is still fine so my advice is pack it away if your really not going to use it for a long time.

3. Manufacturer - some filament manufacturers have PLA filament that is MUCH more likely to break than others and it seems like the manufacturer that AIO Robotics has gone with is one of those so maybe try buying from another manufacturer and trying theirs out.

I find that if you haven't printed for a while the easiest thing to do at this stage is to pull out all the filament waiting in the extruder and feed tube and re-insert it with filament from the spool to avoid a crack in your first print.  Another option is to also allow the filament to warm up either in a hot room or something else before feeding it in.  Eventually a better feed tube mechanism will also be required to help with the angling of it as well.

Hope that helped.

LukefromAIORobotics

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:29:28 AM »
Hi everyone,

we have redesigned part of the filament feed system. alcoxy is right about the potential issues related to filament breakage or shifting. The new filament spool holder can be 3D printed, and retrofitted to all existing Zeus units, and is designed to help prevent filament breakage and layer shifting.

Here is the link to the file, instructions on how to install the new filament spool holder, along with tips on the proper position of the filament feed tube:
http://aiorobotics.com/manual/doku.php?id=filament_breakage

Best

ecloud

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »
The filament also rubs against the lid and the corners of the gull-wing hinges.  The angle where it is fed into the extruder is the sharpest one, because the lid pushes it down.  I can't see a solution, except maybe redesigning the extruder to take filament from the left instead of the top, or even with a swiveling guide of some sort.  But there will often be some slack pushed around as the extruder moves; it has to go somewhere.

It would be nice if there was a space heater inside the enclosure, to warm up the filament, especially when printing in a cold room.  But it would waste energy, and is maybe not so great for the electronics, which are in the same chamber.  I'd probably have designed the enclosure so that the tray for electronics is exposed to outside air (or better, attached to a heatsink which is passively cooled by outside air) but isolated from the air in the chamber.

stonybonytony

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »
I'm having the same issue - I've done the new spool holder, well the original spool holders fell apart the first time I changed the spool so I did t have much choice. On the same page, there is a suggestion to drill a hole in the top of the spool holding assembly, and thread some ptfe tubing through a rubber grommet, maybe this will help? Has anyone tried this?

There are links to the parts, but all to an American site, has anyone in Europe or ideally the uk done this and if so where did you get the ptfe tubing - as it's specified in MM., I imagine a metric rubber grommet is going to serve even better than the imperial ones specified, and I can find these, but not tube with the requested id/od.

syer1

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 09:12:27 AM »
I switch colors too often to use the built in spool holder. Instead i printed this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:943563
or even made one out of pvc kinda like this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:167706. Its faster and easier to put either one of these ontop of the printer and just print wit the lid open.  Cant remember the last time filament broke and my printer is on my desk next to a sliding door to the balcony 2 blocks from the beach. :) hope this helps.